Friday, May 20, 2011

Fact Friday - Preschool Graduation - You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby!

Cody graduated yesterday.

Codys Graduation

I didn't cry.

All week, I built up anxiety over the thought of my baby boy graduating from preschool. I know it is just preschool, but it is so much more than that (probably more so when your child has special needs).

3 years ago, Cody started preschool with me a constant in the classroom - a security blanket by his side.

20080825-IMGP0665

(These pictures were from his first day at school. He was so tiny!).

20080825-IMGP0673

The entire first year of preschool, he kept a close eye on me ensuring that I never left the classroom. If I stood up from the chair I was sitting in, his spidey senses would kick in from across the classroom and he was immediately by my side. I participated in circle time, dance time, outdoor play time and even snack time. The other kids probably thought I flunked preschool a few too many years and was the oldest preschooler in history. :)

I felt miserable the first few weeks wondering if I was doing the right thing - if I was pushing him too early.

20080825-IMGP0714

The reward came in the last couple months of the school year when out of nowhere he gave me a hug and kiss and say goodbye. He was read to fly solo and no longer needed a security blanket.

I'm not sure what was harder on me - him still being my baby and needing me so much that he couldn't handle being in class without my presence or him growing up enough to not need me there. (Oh the roller coaster of emotion that the love for out children bring to us!!!)

Now, 3 years later I sat in the audience beaming with pride that my baby boy enthusiastically completed 3 years of of preschool.

Just this year, I have watched him grow from the child who preferred to sit quietly and watch to the boy who can't jump up fast enough to be front and center to show everyone how to "put a ring on it" when Single Ladies is played during circle time. I have witnessed his adoration for his teachers, whom he was hesitant to trust 2 years ago (he has had the same wonderful, caring and nurturing teachers for the last 2 years), grow in such a beautiful way that it makes it even more difficult to say goodbye to them. I have had my heart filled when we walk into his classroom after class has started and we are greeted with "Coco is here!!!!!" by classmates who missed him the 20 minutes he was not there. I have beamed with "that's my boy" pride when I see his compassion towards his friends. Each friend (and even their parents) is often greeted with warm hugs and pats on the back when Cody sees them.

I thought that watching him graduate would make me cry like a baby - because that's just the way I am. But surprisingly, I didn't cry. Instead, I was filled with overwhelming joy. The kind that makes you smile so much that your cheeks hurt. The kind of joy that makes your heart smile a big fat smile.

He graduated from preschool.

IMG_1317

In a world where some countries do not allow children with down syndrome to attend school - MY SON GRADUATED PRESCHOOL. :)

He may not have the vocabulary of a "typical" 5 year old or write his name, but he is ready for kindergarten. He knows all his letters (in and out of order), can read his name as well as a few other words), and can count to 20 and write majority of the numbers (but only when HE feels like it). :)

With each unexpected step that he takes....he makes us proud.

(Speaking of proud, Papa, Mama and Uncle were at his graduation, too).

 IMG_1250

He has made us realize that it is not the typical milestones that we need to appreciate and that matter most. It is the small milestones and achievements that matter. BUT it gives us a huge sense of gratification when he accomplishes milestones that others previously said he could not accomplish because of his down syndrome diagnosis. With each of these accomplishments, I always say a silent (but polite) "in your face!!!!"  :)

We are all SO SUPER proud of you, Codester!!!

IMG_1245

(Don’t pay attention to the exposure, please. I didn’t take the picture. Smile)

In one month, you are starting the “K” word. I know you are going to do great! You are a ROCKSTAR, baby boy!

2 comments:

Kelly Nelson said...

Congratulations Michelle and Cody! I know you must be such a proud Mama!

Michelle R. Slape said...

Thank you, Kelly! I most definitely am! :)