Monday, January 4, 2010

Dedicated to Gaby

When Cody was in the hospital we met a father whose newborn was in the ICU after having exploratory surgery for her brain tumor. I vividly remember thinking “how could a baby have a brain tumor?” I honestly NEVER thought it was possible. I mean WHY would a baby have cancer when they are only starting to live their life?

Although we left the hospital after one month, I know that this family stayed in the hospital for much longer.

2 months after leaving the hospital we provided a New Years dinner for the Ronald McDonald house that had nourished us during our hospital stay. Right before going I had mentioned to my husband that I had hoped Victor would not be there because that meant that baby Abigail had been released from the hospital.

Unfortunately, we ran into Victor and my heart broke knowing that Abigail was still in the hospital.

After running into him New Years 2004, I never saw him again and have constantly wondered how Abigail is doing. I also continued to wonder HOW a baby could get a brain tumor because it just didn’t seem fair that they would not get a fair chance at life.

Unfortunately, childhood cancer has struck home. My cousin’s precious daughter lost her battle with cancer yesterday and my heart absolutely hurts for them.

I am amazed at the strength this little girl had to fight her cancer for a year and a half. One so little had SO much fight in her. I wish I had half her strength. She took treatments with grace and fought like a warrior. Pain was never reflected in her eyes.

Gaby

Sweet baby Gaby, we will miss you more than words can express. We are blessed to have known you and honored to call you family. We only have pleasant memories of you and that is how you will always remain in our hearts.

We love you beautiful baby Gabrielle!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

So, so sorry to hear about Gaby. Hugs to you today, my friend.

Melisa said...

I am so sorry to hear about Gaby. She is in a better place now without the chemicals, needles, pic lines, and tubes. You wrote that so well such a great tribute. Sending hugs your way! I am sorry.