Friday, October 3, 2014

10 Things I Have Learned from Cody | Down Syndrome Awareness Month

I originally wrote this post in July 2010 when Cody was just 4 years old. I read it the other day and thought of how fitting it still is and was worth sharing again.

  1. Keep trying – if you keep trying, you will eventually get the outcome you want.
  2. Don’t give in to expectations – if Cody only lived up to the expectations people have of him they would never see his true potential. I love that he can prove people wrong!
  3. Keep smiling – even when he was laying in a hospital bed connected to a ventilator, he never stopped smiling. Even when he is sleeping I catch him laughing and smiling while dreaming. I want his dreams. :)
  4. Never hold a grudge – the boy can’t stay angry for the life of him. He can be super mad at me one minute, but as soon as I smile at him, he forgets all about his anger.
  5. Be able to laugh at yourself – when he falls, he is the first to laugh. If he bumps his head, he is the first to laugh. I think being able to laugh at myself and things I do reminds me to not be serious about a lot of different things.
  6. Make friends everywhere you go – Cody is like a friend magnet. Adults and kids love to talk to Cody and he is always open to chatting with them as well. Not that I’m not talkative, but it is a reminder that you can never have enough friends.
  7. Don’t forget to be silly – Every day items turn into a hat or a toy. He can crack himself up for half an hour with a basket or a silly dance. I try to be silly with him and his brother as much as I can.
  8. Show your love often – Cody has an endless supply of hugs, kisses and “i lub yous” to give away. Hug someone and it can make their day. :)
  9. Be there for someone – If ever anyone in the house is upset or in trouble (aka the puppy or his brother), Cody is the first one by their side to comfort them or stand up for them. (He is also likes to help scold them, but that is after he has comforted them).
  10. Enjoy life – Cody can turn anything he does into something fun and enjoyable. I think us adults need to do that more often!!!

No comments: