Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Late Post - Happy 8th Birthday to DJ!

Yes, this post is late, but for the sake of entertaining me, let’s pretend that today is June 24 – we were on vacation during his birthday (and I didn’t bring a laptop) so that’s a good excuse for a late post, right? :)

For DJ’s birthday, we took a trip to Southern California. I wanted to take advantage of the beach so we took his pictures at Solano Beach in San Diego. It was a bit cold, but after being in Northern California for a few years now, the boys were so excited to see the beach that they didn’t even notice it was cold!

Reluctant to have his birthday session, bribery of playing at the playground at the beach motivated my son into a (for the most part) painless photo session.

Based on this picture, you would think it was torture for your mom to take your “formal” picture ONCE a year.

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (1 of 7)

But with a promise of playing at the playground, you get this….

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (2 of 7)

I just love that he is at the toothless stage! He is missing 3 teeth and as a mother, I could not wait for the moment when I would hear my child say “thith” instead of “this”, “monther” instead of “monster”. Oh the simple things that make me smile. :)

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (5 of 7)

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (7 of 7)

“Hey mom, take a picture of me on this rock!”

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (1 of 1)

This happens every time – Cody picture bombs DJ’s birthday session. :) Can you hear him saying “CHEESE”?

HappyBirthdayDJ_2011 (3 of 7)

In honor of DJ’s 8th birthday, here are my top 8 things I love about DJ:

1. He is FUNNY! He creates elaborate, hysterical stories to entertain us (did you know (that according to DJ), the people that have to clean up roadkill “get” to take the roadkill home for dinner?)  He also has hilarious one liners that keep us laughing for days (“An ATM is an Automatic Teller Machine? It TELLS on you to your parents when you do something wrong?”)

2. He is a love bug – While his brother often protests at mommy-hug attacks, DJ is always willing to let me give him an “anaconda squeeze” Nacho Libre style.

3. He loves to read – Just like his dad and me, you can often find him lost in a book. Sometimes finishing a large chapter book in just a couple of days.

4. He is smart – When it comes to school, he takes it seriously and effortlessly does well. He just finished his 2nd grade school year, but reads at a 5th grade level. Yes, I am a proud mommy!

5. He is just like me – though at the same time, this is the cause of many good battles between us :)

6. He is caring – When he was 3 and his brother came out of his almost 30-day hospital stay, DJ advised us that Cody was HIS baby and that he would take care of him. He fed him, held him and once even tried to change his diaper. Even through all the occasional bickering, he is still quick to help his brother out when needed, even if it is sometimes to help him into something he is not supposed to get into. :) That’s what a big brother is for, right?

7. He is athletic – I am by far nowhere near being athletic. Fortunately for DJ, he is like his dad and can try something once and be good at it. I envy him for that!

8. He is DJ!  - I love this boy for all that he is – funny, smart, stubborn, goofy, literal, studious, energy-filled, ALL boy, and one of my first true loves!

No comments: