Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day of School - Part 2

I think first days of school are meant to be torturous for parents. The kids always seem to do fine, while moms (and dads) worry about how they will fit in, whether or not they will cry, will they hate it, the list of "what ifs" is endless.

Monday was the 2nd time this month I had to experience "the first day of school". First with my 5 year old for kinder and now with my 2 year old for pre-preschool. (I am not sure exactly what it is called, but pre-preschool is appropriate.)

Fortunately, I do not have to leave him behind. I get to experience everything with him for the first 6 weeks. I think this is a great way to transition kids into the preschool environment. This way, he gets familiar with the school and the environment before I have to leave him by himself for a couple of hours a couple times a week. It doesn't mean it is easier (for me), though. He is only 2!

After the 6 weeks, my time in the classroom with him decreases. Instead of participating with him, I sneak into the observation room with the amount of time there slowly increasing as we get closer to the end of the 6 week session. At that point, he should be fully independent of me and in a "big boy" class.

Here is my big boy so excited to go to school!



I love the seriousness of his face. At the same time, he has a smirk that says "I'm so excited, but I'm trying to keep my cool".



He didn't hesitate to dive into playing. As soon as we entered the door, he was a blur heading for the free play area.



Recess time is always a hit. Cody found the coolest "ride" there.



He had a GREAT time at school and loves it! Today was his 2nd day and still no tears. I knew he would love it, but....he's still only 2! He's still my baby and I'm not ready to let go!!!!!!!

1 comment:

KAT_HMG said...

such a cutie CODY is....love to see is joy and enthusiasm about going to school....what school? Cody is no longer baby anymore too...miss and love you Cody Codes!